Thursday, May 9, 2013

Happiness

  I've helped organize the 6th Annual Sustainability Fair on Saturday, May 18th from 10-1 at the First Congregational Church here in Port through the group I'm a part of:  Transition Ozaukee.  Our theme this year is The Economics of Happiness, which comes from the title of the documentary film we'll be screening at the event.  If you've never seen it, I hope you come out and join us - it's a life changer.

This great John Lennon quote reminded me of the film; though the film discusses the economic side of happiness (globalization vs. relocalization), what it really boils down to is that when our ultimate goal is happiness, we (generally speaking) pursue the right things, whether it is our careers or our education or, on a broader scale, our direction as a community, state, nation or world.  I can personally say that when I've made choices based on what will bring me or my family the most happiness, I always make the right choice, while when I've made choices based on what will bring me the most money, it has always led to disaster.  True story.

There are cool things for kids to do at the Fair, too, by the way.  They can make their own paper seed pots and we'll be sending them home with tree seeds to plant in them (sorry - you have to provide the dirt:).  Plus, my kids and one or two others will be performing a play of The Lorax - my very favorite story ever written by Dr. Suess.  If you can, see the film and then the play - you'll see how the story, in all its simplicity, mirrors the sentiment of the film perfectly.  That Dr. Suess was one smart cookie, people.

Local food, local businesses, locally-made products - I'm even working on some local music! - and a silent auction will round out the event nicely.  There's even a donation or two from Cedarburg Toy Co. in the auction, so look for that.  In fact, the great and wonderful Mrs. Natasha Loos of Cedarburg Toy Co. will be on hand from 10:30-11 to tell the amazing tale of how her toy store came to be - it's a great story.  Fun for the whole family.  Don't miss it!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment